Co-Branded Cards & BIN sponsorship
The co-branded Cards are the credit or debit cards issued by the banks in joint sponsorship with the retail merchants. In other words, a card issued jointly by two parties, wherein one is the lending institution (bank), and the other is a non-financial group (retail merchant).
Co-branded credit cards
Co-Branded Credit Cards are bank cards issued by banks in joint sponsorship with the retail merchants.
Those types of cards are issued by two parties: a bank and a non-financial entity ( for example a retail merchant).
Co-Branded Credit cards allow large businesses such as retail chains, hotels or airlines to offer special discounts, cashbacks, store credit and other financial benefits to their customers.
In the same time, the issuing banks of o-Branded Credit Cards benefit from having access to a large targeted audience of customers. This mutually beneficial scheme results in a win-win-win for all parties.
In some cases, these cards can be used in multiple merchants in the same business category, thus customers are benefitting from cross-chain promotions and special conditions.
All that provides the co-branded card holder with a hefty set of neat features like loyalty points across their favorite retail, hotel or airline.
Such cards can often provide a great financial tool for consumers at much cheaper price than private label retail cards.
Some of largest issueres of co-branded credit cards are Jpmorgan Chase Bank, U.S. Bank, Bank of America, Citibank, Wells Fargo and American Express.
Examples for co-branded credit cards:
- Delta Skymiles issued by American Express
- American Airlines issued by Citibank
- Costco Anywhere Visa issued by Citibank
- Macy's American Express issued by Department Stores National Bank
- eBay Credit Card is issued by Synchrony Bank
- Amazon Prime and Store Card Store are issued by Synchrony Bank
- My Best Buy Credit Cards issued by Citibank
- Hilton Honors issued by American Express
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold and Marriott Bonvoy Boundless issued by Chase
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant issued by American Express
BIN sponsorship for co-branded prepaid and gift cards
BIN Sponsors are banks or financial institutions which have the right to issue cards as a member of a payment network such as MasterCard or VISA. The BIN Sponsors act as proxies by providing connectivity to the payment network through their own Bank Identification Numbers to other commercial entities. Through the BIN Sponsorship programs, non-financial institutions can issue cards through the relevant payment network for a lower cost than a standard membership.
Some of largest financial institutions offered BIN sponsorship are: The Bancorp Bank, MetaBank, Green Dot Bank, Axos Bank, Stride Bank, Sunrise Banks and Comerica Bank.
Examples for BIN sponsorship prepaid cards:
- Netspend issued by The Bancorp Bank, MetaBank, Axos Bank, Republic Bank & Trust Company
- PayPal Prepaid Mastercard is issued by The Bancorp Bank
- Western Union® Netspend® Prepaid Mastercard® is issued by MetaBank
- OneVanilla Prepaid Mastercard Cards are issued by The Bancorp Bank or MetaBank®, N.A
- Vanilla Visa® Gift Cards are issued by TBBK Card Services, Inc., MetaBank®, N.A. or Sutton Bank
- Walmart MoneyCard Visa Card is issued by Green Dot Bank